Tuesday, January 2, 2018

#MustReadin2018




I said I wasn't going to do it.  No way, no how.

I have done terribly with these Must Read Challenge created by the amazing Carrie Gelson at There is a Book for That, and I wasn't going to embarrass myself again.

And here I am making a new list of "must-reads" in 2018.  Each year my list has decreased, but that has had no influence on my success or progress.

But there is something cathartic about making a reading plan, even if I don't stick to it.  Thinking about the "next" book is an idea I always want my students to be mindful of, so I must be the example.

This year I have narrowed it down to just eight titles - two for each quarter.  Sounds doable, doesn't it?

Below are the eight titles that I missed reading in 2017 and are my "must-reads" in 2018.  Many of these titles are names that are receiving some award buzz, so I need to get reading!


Orphan Island by Laurel Snyder  Read February 9, 2018
Scythe by Neal Shusterman  Read February 1, 2018


Posted by John David Anderson
Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk


Restart by Gordan Korman  Read August 24, 2018
Refugee by Alan Gratz Read May 29, 2018


Wishtree by Katherine Applegate Read January 7, 2018
The War I Finally Won by   Kimberly Brubaker Bradford  Read June 6, 2018


This challenge is for anyone who has a To Be Read list.  For me, that list seems to be endless.  If you are interested in joining the challenge, you can get all the details here on Carrie's blog.  She will share the lists on her blog, send update reminders on Twitter, and we get to see our own lists grow longer!  

Happy Reading in 2018!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh Anne. I have Scythe and Beyond The Bright Sea to read too, and must recommend Orphan Island, Wishtree and The War I Finally Won - all wonderful in their own unique ways. I bet you'll manage this list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eight is a manageable number! I have not read Scythe or Restart, but I think you will enjoy all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I do terribly with these challenges too--if I make it through half, I consider that a big success. But I do love making reading plans, and since the pleasure for me is in making the plan, not so much in executing it, I give myself full permission to plan away! Last year I started crowdsourcing my list, borrowing one title from each person who creates a list. You have several on your list that I've been meaning to get to, especially Scythe and Refugee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic list Leigh Anne! And I am thrilled you are participating. Just making a list is fun! I have read half the books on your list and enjoyed them immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may have just given me what I need to dip into this challenge again. I only read half of the books on my list. The problem was I forgot what my list had on it. This time I should stack all the books in one place. I loved Beyond the Bright Sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have some of the same books on our lists this year. I know from the ones on your list that I have finished that you will have a fabulous time reading these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some amazing books on this list. Refugee, Scythe, Posted, and Wishtree are favorites of mine--I hope you enjoy them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know about the Katherine Applegate or Gordon Korman books! Ah, this is so exciting!

    Also, I like what you said about making a reading plan. I think I'm going to incorporate that into my classes next semester.

    ReplyDelete